Effective Planning and Scheduling Course Details
Price:$367.50 If you are currently resident in South Africa you will need to pay VAT at 14%. *Discount available
Note: information may change without notice.
About Effective Planning and Scheduling
As project managers and leads, we all know how difficult it can be to accurately determine the duration of a project, yet that is exactly what is expected of us on a regular basis.
This training will not disclose the secret of creating an accurate schedule, because there isnâ€™t one. However, it will provide the factors and fundamental elements that you should consider and address when creating any type of schedule.
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
- Projects and Schedules
- To begin, participants will review what a project is and why schedules are so important.
- The Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- This session will teach participants what a Work Breakdown Structure is, what its role is, what formats and numbering can be used, and the process to create one. Participants will then create their own WBS for taking a camping trip.
- Estimating Activity Durations
- Next, participants will receive tips on how to estimate the length of each task and the project.
- Estimating Case Study
- In this session, participants will perform task estimations for their camping trip project.
- Identifying Task Dependencies
- In this session, participants will learn key definitions and the four types of dependencies. Participants will also complete two exercises to give them some hands-on practice.
- Aligning Resources with Activities
- Next, participants will learn about resources, Resource Breakdown Structures, resource scheduling, and resource leveling. Participants will then complete a case study.
- Project Planning
- To begin the second day, participants will learn how to create network diagrams, use the Critical Path Method and the Program Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT), and create Gantt charts. Participants will go through the full Critical Path Method to create a network diagram with earliest and latest start and finish times and slack.
- Scheduling Software
- In this session, participants will discuss the benefits and disadvantages of using project management software.
- Uncertainty and Risk Management
- Whether we choose to address it or not, there is some form of risk in every project we undertake. This session will give participants some ways to manage risk.
- This session will explore the four key elements of any communication and give participants a framework for communicating with various project team members. Participants will also complete a communication plan.
- Creating a Viable Schedule
- Each of the previous topics will come together in this section to create a workable schedule. Participants will also brainstorm solutions for common scheduling problems.
- Updating and Monitoring the Schedule
- To wrap up the course, participants will receive some tips on schedule management.
- Workshop Wrap-Up
- At the end of the second day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
Instructor Led classroom based training. Scheduled classes are normally held in Woodmead - near to Sandton in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. Stationary and textbook included. Refreshments, including 2 tea breaks and a cooked meal for lunch are provided for full time courses. Contact hours are between 9am to 4pm.
There are currently no scheduled dates.