This two-day course will help you teach participants how to:
- Analyze the costs incurred by an organization when a wrong hiring decision is made
- Develop a fair and consistent interviewing process for selecting employees
- Prepare better job advertisements and use a variety of markets
- Develop a job analysis and position profile
- Use traditional, behavioral, achievement oriented, holistic, and situational (critical incident technique) interview questions
- Enhance their communication skills
- Effectively interview difficult applicants
- Check references more effectively
- Understand the basic employment and human rights laws that can affect the hiring process
Cost$459.80 If you are currently resident in South Africa you will need to pay VAT at 15%.
Instructor Led classroom based training. Scheduled classes are normally held in Woodmead - near to Sandton in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. Stationary and textbook included. Refreshments, including 2 tea breaks and a cooked meal for lunch are provided for full time courses. Contact hours are between 9am to 4pm.
AudienceBusiness owners, managers and HR personnel
Course Outline / Curriculum
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
- History of the Interviewing Process
- The day will begin with a brief lecture on the history of the interviewing process, including Alfred Binet's ideas, stress interviewing, and structured interviewing.
- The Recruitment and Selection Proces
- During this session, we will take a quick look at the six stages of the hiring process.
- Factors in the Hiring Process
- We will examine the three levels of factors in the hiring process in this session.
- Cost Analysis
- During this session, participants will analyze the cost of hiring an employee.
- Job Analysis and Position Profiles
- Determining just what you're hiring for is the second stage of the hiring process. We will look at performing a job analysis and writing a position profile in this session.
- Determining the Skills You Need
- Once you have analyzed what the job will entail, you will need to determine what technical and performance skills the candidate will need. We will examine various ways of doing this during this session.
- Finding Candidates
- During this session, we will examine the advantages and disadvantages of various advertising methods.
- Advertising Guidelines
- If you're going to spend time and money looking for a candidate, you should make sure your ad passes the ten tests of advertising.
- Screening Resumes
- Now that you have the stack of resumes on your desk, what are you going to do with them? Our recommendation is to use a resume screening guide. During this session, we'll discuss just what that is, how to develop one, and how to use it.
- Performance Assessments
- In addition to interviewing, you may also choose to have candidates complete a technical or performance exercise. We will look at both types of exercises through a lecture.
- Problems Recruiters Face
- During this session we will discuss some common mistakes recruiters make and how to avoid them.
- Interviewing Barriers
- There are also some human mistakes that recruiters make; this will be our focus during this lecture.
- Non-Verbal Communication
- During an interview, it is crucial to be aware of the non-verbal signals that you are giving and receiving. We will explore some of these signals through a lecture and an exercise.
- Types of Questions
- Obviously, the ability to ask questions is crucial to an interview. During this session, we will discuss how to use open questions, closed questions, and probes.
- Diana Jones
- To wrap up the first day, participants will work on a case study to help Diana Jones figure out why her hiring process didn't work like she had expected.
- Traditional vs. Behavior Interviews
- During this session we will look at what behavioral interviewing is and how it differs from traditional interviewing. Participants will also have the opportunity to develop some sample behavioral questions.
- Other Types of Questions
- There are two more key types of questions that you can use during an interview: achievement oriented and holistic. We will take a brief look at both types during this session.
- The Critical Incident Technique
- Another type of interview question asks the candidate how they might behave in a certain situation. We will explore why these questions are so valuable, how to develop them, and how to use them.
- Listening for Answers
- Listening for what the candidate does and does not say is just as important as asking the right questions. During this session, we will look at some key listening skills.
- Difficult Applicants
- During this session, participants will role play one of four difficult applicants in a mock interview. We will also discuss how to get the information you're looking for out of these types of people.
- Interview Preparation and Format
- During this session, we will discuss some things you should do before, during, and after the interview.
- Other Interview Techniques
- During the interview, there are some techniques you can use to keep things moving. We will talk about five of the most common methods.
- Scoring Responses
- During this session, we will discuss how to use performance-based rating scales.
- Checking References
- We will look at how to check references, using a reference guide, and who to ask for references.
- Human Rights
- Through a brief lecture, participants will learn about some of the key human rights issues that recruiters face.
- Skill Application
- We will spend the afternoon of Day Two developing an interview guide and role-playing the interview using all the skills we have learned.
- Workshop Wrap-Up
- At the end of the day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
Schedule Dates and Booking
To apply for a booking, click on the
relevant "Book Now" button below.
Note: places are only fully secured once payment has been made.
|Thu 7 Jun 2018||2 Day||Provisional|