This one-day workshop will help you teach participants how to:
- Hone staff management skills
- Choose the project team, or make the best of an assigned team
- Keep a project team on track
- Develop a project communication plan
- Communicate with sponsors and executives
This workshop presumes that the student has a thorough understanding of project management, including topics such as preparing a statement of work, setting project goals, scheduling, budgeting, managing project risks, and executing a project.
Calculate DiscountI will book and pay 10 business days before the course (less $25.00)
If you are currently resident in South Africa you will need to pay VAT at 15%.
Instructor Led classroom based training. Scheduled classes are normally held in Woodmead - near to Sandton in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. Stationary and textbook included. Refreshments, including 2 tea breaks and a cooked meal for lunch are provided. Contact hours are between 9am to 4pm.
AudienceManagers, project managers, business owners, bosses and leaders of project teams.
Pre-RequisitesSome team leadership and project management experience is beneficial.
Course Outline / Curriculum
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
- Choosing the Project Team
- This session covers some things to consider when choosing a project team and how to make the best of an assigned team. Other topics covered include the pre-assignment review, assigning the project work, negotiating for the people you want, and preparing for team problems.
- Building a Winning Team
- In this session, we will discuss why teamwork is so important. We will also look at Tuckman and Jensen's four stage team development model: Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing.
- Team Meetings
- Most projects should have a defined timeline for team meetings. First, project managers meet with the individual members of the team. Then, the project manager meets with the team as a whole. Next, the first status meeting occurs. This session will discuss all of these meetings in detail, plus some general meeting management tips.
- Nine Easy Ways to Reward Your Team
- One challenge many project managers face is how to keep the team motivated during the project. We discuss nine ways project managers can keep the team moving and performing at their best.
- Developing a Communication Plan
- To ensure your project's success, you must include a communications plan as part of your initial project planning. This plan will cover the who, when, why, what, and how of your communications with various project members throughout the whole project.
- Communicating with Sponsors and Executives
- Your project sponsor and executives are key members of your team. Typically, they provide the authority and the resources to execute your project. During this session, we will discuss some ways to effectively communicate with your sponsor and executives.
- Dealing with Problem Team Members
- Have you ever had a team member that kept running to the sponsor with every little problem? Or a member who never had anything positive to say? We'll look at a number of problem team members and identify how to turn their problem characteristics into team strengths.
- Workshop Wrap-Up
- At the end of the day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
Schedule Dates and Booking
There are currently no scheduled dates.
Please note that this course needs a minimum of 6 delegates to schedule a course. You can choose to be added to the waiting list by clicking the button below and we will contact you when we have enough delegates interested. Should we not get enough delegates, we will refund or credit your paid booking.
Should you need this course urgently, the following options are available:
- Pay for 6 delegates (whether you have them or not) and we will schedule the course as soon as possible.
- If you have fewer delegates and cannot pay for 6, we can negotiate a shortened course where some of the time will be spent in blended learning - watching videos and doing tutorials and exercises with some contact time with the trainer. We would want to discuss what your core needs are so that we cover those aspects. You need to have paid for 3 delegates at least.