In order to become more productive in a command-line environment used by many popular systems, like GIT, Docker, and PostgreSQL a basic grasp of the frequently used shell commands is necessary.
You will learn to:
- Edit files efficiently in a terminal
- copy, move, rename, remove and create various files
- filter and manipulate files
- Use pipes and redirects in command lines.
Calculate DiscountI will bring my own PC (less $50.00)
I will book and pay 10 business days before the course (less $50.00)
If you are currently resident in South Africa you will need to pay VAT at 15%.
Instructor Led classroom based training. Scheduled classes are normally held in Woodmead - near to Sandton in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. Stationary and textbook included. Refreshments, including 2 tea breaks and a cooked meal for lunch are provided. Contact hours are between 9am to 4pm.
Delegates that intend to use command-line tools such as those available for GIT, Docker, and PostgreSQL.
Computer Literacy, basic operating system concepts and a reasonable typing speed.
Course Outline / Curriculum
- The shell
- Command Prompt
- Command Structure
- Command Types
- Shell Variables
- Command History and Shortcuts
- Help and man Pages
- Viewing a file
- File and Directory management
- Finding files with whereis
- Finding programs with which
- Hard links
- Symbolic links
- Using the Nano editor
- Launching Nano
- The Nano interface
- Reading a file into Nano
- Saving a file and exiting Nano
- Cutting, Copying, Pasting and Selecting in Nano
- Jumping to a specific line and column in Nano
- Searching and Replacing
- Using the Vi editor
- Vi modes
- Command mode
- ex mode
- Cut and paste
- Redirection and command pipelines
- Basic Filters
- Regular Expressions
- tac – the opposite of cat
- uniq – discard duplicate lines
- Scheduling Jobs
- Process Management
- Starting processes in the background
- Stopping a foreground process
Schedule Dates and Booking
There are currently no scheduled dates.
Please note that this course needs a minimum of 6 delegates to schedule a course. You can choose to be added to the waiting list by clicking the button below and we will contact you when we have enough delegates interested. Should we not get enough delegates, we will refund or credit your paid booking.
Should you need this course urgently, the following options are available:
- Pay for 6 delegates (whether you have them or not) and we will schedule the course as soon as possible.
- If you have fewer delegates and cannot pay for 6, we can negotiate a shortened course where some of the time will be spent in blended learning - watching videos and doing tutorials and exercises with some contact time with the trainer. We would want to discuss what your core needs are so that we cover those aspects. You need to have paid for 3 delegates at least.