The answer lies in critical thinking skills. The ability to clearly reason through problems and to present arguments in a logical, compelling way has become a key skill for survival in today's world. This two-day Critical Thinking workshop will give participants some practical tools and hands-on experience with critical thinking and problem solving.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
o Define critical and non-critical thinking
o Work through the critical thinking process to build or analyze arguments
o Develop and evaluate information
o Improve key critical thinking skills
o Assimilate critical thinking into you daily life
o Use analytical thought systems and creative thinking techniques
o Prepare and present powerful arguments
Cost$459.80 If you are currently resident in South Africa you will need to pay VAT at 15%.
Instructor Led classroom based training. Scheduled classes are normally held in Woodmead - near to Sandton in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. Stationary and textbook included. Refreshments, including 2 tea breaks and a cooked meal for lunch are provided for full time courses. Contact hours are between 9am to 4pm.
This course is a key course to help establish a foundation of solid thinking skills to analyse and interpret arguments and data. It is useful to anyone in business to help them think clearly and make good decisions and is a base course for Problem-Solving and Decision making. If you have not done Critical thinking in school - come on this course.
Matric level English language skills is beneficial.
Course Outline / Curriculum
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
- Understanding Critical Thinking
- The first session of the course will look at what critical thinking is, the difference between motivated reasoning and rationality, and the characteristics of a critical thinker. It will also explore the difference between motivated and rational thinking, and the standards of Critical Thinking.
- Information and Perception
- Next, participants will look at how our brain perceives data, just how much it misses and why we need to apply scientific thinking in day to day activities. Participants will also learn barriers to understanding such as cognitive biases and logical fallacies, as well as where feelings and intuition fit in this equation.
- Sources of Information
- This session will look at where we can find information and how we can ensure the information is credible. We will also look at some methods analyzing edited material.
- The Critical Thinking Process
- Next, participants will delve into the seven-phase critical thinking model. They will also learn about the standards of critical thinking that serve as the foundation for this model. Participants will then practice the process through a case study.
- A Critical Thinker's Skill Set
- This session will give participants some skills necessary for critical thinking: asking questions, and probing answers for more information.
- Creating Explanations
- Another important part of critical thinking is being able to clearly explain why something is a way. This session will help participants build that skill.
- Dealing with Assumptions
- Although assumptions can help us get through our everyday lives, they can be a major impediment to critical thinking. In this session, participants will discuss how to reduce the number of assumptions that they rely on.
- Assertions and Proof
- This session looks at analyzing assertions and where the burden of proof lies.
- Putting It into Practice
- This final session will give participants some tips on preparing and presenting a powerful, logical argument. Participants will also have an opportunity to prepare and present a critical thinking presentation, and to evaluate others' presentations with the skills that they have learned.
- Workshop Wrap-Up
- At the end of the day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
Schedule Dates and Booking
To apply for a booking, click on the
relevant "Book Now" button below.
Note: places are only fully secured once payment has been made.
|Thu 27 Jun 2019||Woodmead||2 Days||Scheduled||Book Now|
|Mon 12 Aug 2019||Woodmead||2 Days||Provisional|
|Mon 7 Oct 2019||Woodmead||2 Days||Provisional|
|Mon 2 Dec 2019||Woodmead||2 Days||Provisional|